Sanofi SA (ADR) (NYSE:SNY), MannKind (NASDAQ:MNKD) In Afrezza Licensing Deal

Boston, MA 08/11/2014 (wallstreetpr) – French drug company Sanofi SA (ADR) (NYSE:SNY) and MannKind Corporation (NASDAQ:MNKD) have entered a global collaboration that involves developing and marketing of the inhaled insulin therapy, Afrezza, targeting adults with types 1 and 2 of diabetes. Afrezza is billed as rapid-acting inhaled insulin, a new solution for diabetes patients that the companies believe their joint efforts can help penetrate more markets and improve the lives of many more patients.

Top on the agenda, the companies have promised to launch Afrezza in the U.S. in 1Q2015.

On to other details of the agreement, Sanofi SA (ADR) (NYSE:SNY) and MannKind said in a statement that their agreement involves Sanofi taking over the responsibilities for global commerce, development activities and regulatory matters. However, MannKind Corporation (NASDAQ:MNKD) will on its part manufacture Afrezza. The statement went further to state that MannKind will do the manufacturing at its facility in Danbury, Connecticut.  The agreement also involves plans by the companies to enhance the manufacturing capacity of Afrezza so as to meet the global demand for the therapy.

Payment involved

The agreement states than Sanofi SA (ADR) (NYSE:SNY) will make payment of $150 million to MannKind in upfront consideration with up to $775 million in milestone payments. However, they said the milestone payments will depend upon meeting of certain regulatory and development targets. Furthermore, the company said they would share profits and losses in the collaboration such that Sanofi will retain 65 percent while MannKind will retain the rest – 35 percent.

Praising the deal

According to Pierre Chancel, a senior vice president at Sanofi SA (ADR) (NYSE:SNY), Affrezza becomes another important addition to their expanding portfolio of integrated solutions for diabetes. He further states that the therapy is uniquely placed to offer patients with another treatment option that doesn’t require injections.

On their part, MannKind’s CEO Alfred Mann praised their collaboration with Sanofi SA (ADR) (NYSE:SNY) and for the opportunity to bring Afrezza to global diabetes patients. He also said Sanofi is an ideal partner by the virtue that their product portfolios complement.

Please make sure to read and completely understand our disclaimer at We may be compensated for posting this content on our website by EDM Media LLC. For questions, comments or suggestions please contact

Published by Flavia Carruth

Hi, I am Flavia and have done my MBA with finance as specialization and a Bachelor in Economics with 4 years of experience as Financial Analyst in leading Software Firm. I have passion for article writing, report making and stock market Analysis.

Recent Stories

SignUp Now For Our Featured Newsletter